Friday, April 11, 2008

How does your garden grow?

I decided (a bit late in the season) to grow a vegetable garden...in containers! I have been wanting a garden for so long, but have not had the space for one.




The first sign of life came from the radishes. Appearantly these are very easy to grow. In just a few short days they started peeping through the soil. I don't like radishes, but I chose to grow them for my bunnies. :)











Next came the snow peas. These I also don't care for. I am growing these for Josh. He will eat them as a healthy snack. I am also starting to see my green beans start to come up, but they are mearly more than a bump in the dirt. I really hope to see my bell peppers, jalapenos, roma tomatoes, and salad tomatoes soon!






I am excited about what I am going to do with the salad tomatoes (they are like wee cherry tomatoes). I want to plant them in one of these. I saw a picture of small tomatoes in a hanging planter, hanging down over the edge. I hope it will work out.



I have not purchased any of the large planters yet (except a rusty tin container I found at Goodwill). I am holding out, trying to put off spending more money. But I was thrilled to find these cute pots for my herbs. I got 4 at Menards for $2.50 each! I guess they were on sale because when I went back to get more the price had gone up. As far as herbs, I am growing 2 kind of mint (I love mint tea and I enjoy mint in my iced tea and lemonade), dill, cilantro (coriander), basil, and oregano. I cheated and bought the mint as plants. Now I wish I would have purchased basil plants, too, because I am not patient enough to wait for it to grow.

It is so much fun to watch these plants grow from a wee seed. I am a nurturer and my nurturing instincts doesn't stop at people and animals. I watch over these pots of dirt all day long, every day. I move them from window to window as the sun moves. I protect them from chilly drafts. I noticed the first little bit of green popping up. Hopefully we will get some veggies from these plants. I can't wait to eat my first very own not-store-bought-grown-in-my-garden tomato!

Hey, with the way I go through tomatoes and the price of them these days, it's a great investment. :)

1 comment:

As We Sail... said...

If I had a veggie garden, more than half of it would be tomatoes!