Friday, December 21, 2007
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Oh, and I know it is a week past Thanksgiving and I have not posted about it yet. I am still keeping pretty busy, despite being unemployed. But I will get to it, and I will probably post it on my other blog.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
A friend of my mom's has kindly offered to let us rent from her while she is trying to sell the house. She has given us a very generous offer and with the property including woods, it is a bit closer to what we would like to have when we eventually settle and start putting down roots. I love that it is so dark at night that I have to take a flashlight outside with me and that we have to drive down a country road to get to our house! I just saw the mail truck for the first time today and it is not even a real mail truck!
A requirement for us to move was that we needed a vehicle. We found one the very day after we started looking! I never, ever thought that we would own an SUV. Yes, we bought an SUV. It is a 95 Jimmy. We felt that it was a good deal for the price. It runs good and the body is in great condition. We are happy to have it for hauling things, such as for camping trips. We will just not be able to keep it for our primary vehicle. Friends of ours have very generously offered to give us their car for next to nothing after they get their new vehicle. That will work out well as we both plan to work part-time....
Which brings me to our next need. Please be praying or/thinking of us as we are looking for jobs. Josh would like to find something to put him more in the direction of ministry. This could take a bit of time as there is not an ABUNDANCE of ministry related jobs available in the area.
Me, well, I am looking for anything at the moment, which gets a bit depressing. I have been applying for retail positions hoping to at least get some seasonal work, and maybe making my way up using my supervisory experience. At first I was limiting it to places that I enjoy shopping at myself and that might offer some kind of benefits package, but after no reply I had to expand my horizons. It felt a bit demoralising applying at ALDI. But it feels even more demoralising that they were supposed to call by today and I have not had a call yet. I guess a part of me is greatful that they have not called.
We are thankful to be in our own place and I can now think about what I am going to make for our family Thanksgiving gatherings. :)
Friday, November 09, 2007
Since we have been back we only visited Chicago for one night (the day of our arrival from Scotland) and an evening for a wedding. Oh, we DID get to walk around downtown a bit after we took my BIL and his friends to Ohare a while back.
I had been longing to spend more time there so I told Josh that I wanted to go for my birthday. He couldn't refuse that, could he? :) This sounds silly, but one of the only things I wanted to do there was go grocery shopping! I really miss the selection there. So I picked up loads of bulk spices from Pete's Fresh Market (that is a GREAT place for produce and anything Mexican) and spent a long time browsing the isles of Trader Joe's (YEAH!).
We stayed with our friends Nathan and Andrea and brought our bunnies along. They have a little girl and it was so much fun to watch her with the bunnies. She would get so excited, flap her arms around, then land one of those hands right down on the bunny's head.
Andrea took us shopping and we stopped at Montrose Harbor for a little walk (it was SOO windy!). Before we left for Scotland Andrea and I went rollar blading on the lakefront. Afterwards we snapped some pictures here but I was so sad that they accidentally got deleted. So we had to do it again. :)
I don't know if you can see it here, but there were actually flowers on some of the trees!
The next day was my birthday and I spent it with my family. It was a nice day to just relax and hang out. My mom posted some old pictures on her blog if you want to check them out.
Sunday, November 04, 2007
We set our clocks back, but I didn't get that extra hour. I didn't have to get up until 7, but I was up bright and early at 5:45. I guess I was just too excited about our trip to Chicago. I told Josh that I wanted to go for my birthday since we haven't really gotten to visit. We stayed one night when we arrived from Scotland. We are going to visit our church up there and stay for 2 nights wtih friends. I am bringing my bunnies along (for anyone that might be concerned about them). There might be a couple of wee ones that would have fun petting them. :)
Back to the time change, we were having this discussion about changing the clocks with an aussie friend of ours in Scotland 2 years ago. She couldn't remember if we set the clocks forward or back. I quoted the little ditty we use to remember "spring forward, fall back." She said, "AAAAH! I never heard that before!" I was shocked that she never would have heard that! I thought everyone did! Then she reminded me that it is the opposite in Australia. Uh-huh. Shows how much I know.
Friday, November 02, 2007
I want to introduce a brand spankin' new blog to you. My very own mother has decided to set up her own inspirational blog. I am looking forward to her posts. Go and visit her!
Monday, October 29, 2007
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Last weekend was our anniversary (6th!) but the weekend before was when we celebrated. We always like to celebrate by going away somewhere. Even when we were on a student budget in Scotland. The first year was the New College retreat to Carberry Tower. The second year was to Dunkeld (we were SO happy to finally see some fall colours!).
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
1. YOUR ROCK STAR NAME: (first pet & current car)
Rabbit None or Bunnie Nothing or Chestnut Zero Zippo
2.YOUR GANGSTA NAME: (fave ice cream flavor, favorite cookie)
eek! I don't have any favourites here! Uh, Peppermint No Bake?
3. YOUR “FLY Guy/Girl” NAME: (first initial of first name, first three letters of your last name)
4. YOUR DETECTIVE NAME: (favorite color, favorite animal)
5. YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name, hospital where you were born)
Stephenie St. Mary
6. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (the first 3 letters of your last name, first 2 letters of your first),
Boude (HA! HA!)
7. SUPERHERO NAME: (”The” + 2nd favorite color, favorite drink),
The Pink Raspberry Mocha
8. NASCAR NAME: (the first names of your grandfathers),
9.WITNESS PROTECTION NAME: (mother’s & father’s middle names ),
10. TV WEATHER ANCHOR NAME: (Your 5th grade teacher’s last name, a major city that starts with the same letter),
11. SPY NAME: (your favorite season/holiday, flower).
12. CARTOON NAME: (favorite fruit, article of clothing you’re wearing right now + “ie” or “y”)
13. HIPPIE NAME: (What you ate for breakfast, your favorite tree),
14. YOUR ROCKSTAR TOUR NAME: (”The” + Your fave hobby/craft, fave weather element + “Tour”),
The Quilting Thunderstorm Tour
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
I will not tag anyone just as in my other facts about me thing. If you want to participate (PLEASE DO!) let me know...
I have been tagged by my friend Erin at Prairie Road for a meme. I have been blogging for 2 years and this is my first tag! YAY! Problem is, I don't really know very many people to tag myself. Oh, well.
So here are the rules:
The Rules: “Each person posts the rules before their list, then they list 8 things about themselves. At the end of the post, that person tags and links to 8 other people and then visits those peoples’ sites and comments letting them know that they have been tagged, and to come read the post, so they know what they have to do.”
1) I am currently an America expat, meaning I am from American, but living in another country. In just a little over a week, though, we will be moving back to my husband's hometown in Indiana. (See how long ago I wrote this!)
2) I cannot swim, though I love to be around water. I like to water ski, too. :)
3) We have not had a TV as long as we have been married. After we moved here I think my mom felt bad that I might get sad and lonely, so she started sending us DVDs, which we watch on our computer.
4) I have had a huge fear of walking over bridges over water (or even driving over them) but since we visited San Fran and walked the Golden Gate Bridge the fear is not so crippling.
5) I love to take photos, but I am sad because I think I lost my eye the first time we crossed that pond.
6) My brother has Down's Syndrome and I am really looking forward to seeing him again next week (after over a year!)
(here is where I left off, so these have been just completed today)
7) I still have my tonsils, I have never broken a bone in my body, and have never been admitted to the hospital.
8) I am now the proud mother of 2 mini rex bunnies. Yes, they are my babies. And Ceilidh and Lady Grey are almost fully litter trained. YEAH!
Friday, September 21, 2007
Hmmm...she tagged me quite a while bag for something else, which I started and saved as a draft. I will have to dig that up..
Things you may not have known about me.....
A) Four jobs I have had in my life:
1. Lake County Prosecutor's Office
2. nanny (started with one beautiful girl of 15mos and finished with 3 gorgeous girls, the 15-month-old being 8!)
3. Social Services Caseworker
4. Starbucks Barista, then Supervisor
B) Four movies I would watch over and over:
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Anne of Green Gables set
3. Sound of Music
4. Fiddler on the Roof
C) Four places I have lived:
1. Hobart, IN
2. Chicago, IL (several different moves)
3. Edinburgh, Scotland (2 different places)
4. Lowell, IN
D) Four TV shows I love to watch:
We have never had a TV, my while we lived in Edinburgh my mom would send us DVDs of shows. These were some I liked:
1. Dr. G
2. The Dog Whisperer
4. umm...can't think of anything else
E) Four places I have been on vacation :
1. camping in the Adirondacks in New York
2. San Fransisco, CA
4. various lovely spots in Scotland
F) Websites I visit daily:
1. the blogs listed on my sidebar (except Brett's because he never updates his)
2. americanexpats.com (but really not as much anymore)
3. I'm really not online as much anymore, so I will visit various other sites off and on
G) Four of my favorite foods
1. DILL PICKLES!!! (which I could not indulge in while in Scotland)
3. Chicago-style pizza
H) Four places I would like to be right now
1. somewhere in Scotland
2. somewhere scenic
3. somewhere else
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
We finally picked up a couple of rabbits. I have been eager to have them. They are both mini rexes. We decided to get two so they can keep eachother company. Not like they don't get enough lovin' from us!
Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee) in Scotland is a social gathering. We went to a couple of ceilidh dances and had a blast! Lady Grey is my favourite tea and I thought it an appropriate name for a gray bunny (actually she is considered blue). Lady Jane Grey was also queen of England for 9 short days. She was forced to the throne at the young age of 15, but the true heir (Mary) gathered the support of her people and took the throne for herself. Just a brief history lesson. :)
Friday, September 07, 2007
I am on a roll! I have finally gotten to so pictures I took in Edinburgh. These were taken on one of the few gorgeous summer days we had about a week and a half before we left. I took a walk along the river to Leith and picked Josh up from work.
I am going to post the pictures on Beannachd Leibh, simply because I like how they look better against a black background. :) And of course I will have more photos on flickr.
Thursday, September 06, 2007
Grandpa. The sun was in the way.
Aunt Sue and mom
Of course, Josh had to use his torch (flashlight) to light the way.
Me and Stevie
My grandma loves flowers and birds. It is so nice to walk in their back yard and look at all the flowers or sit at the kitchen table and watch all the birds flitting from one feeder to the next.
My mom managed to pick this duck up several times, luring her with a piece of bread. Every time the duck got more and more skeptical.
Watching the boys in the water...
...these boys. Josh managed to get Stevie to sit in the water. He even laid down in the water and walked out to chest deep water. Only for his brother!