Monday, March 06, 2006

New Hobby

A few weeks back I started a new hobby: needle felting. A lot of people didn't really know what it was and Andrea suggested I ought to put some pictures on the blog, so here they are. The first one is a ball and a ladybird (ladybug). I didn't have the appropriate colors for the bug so I just had fun. The second pic is a bunny. He is sort of scary without eyes, but I don't have any beads here.

Needle felting is achieved by taking a big clump of wool (cleaned, dyed, and combed) and using a special barded needle to agitate the wool. You put all these peices together to create your animal or whatever you want to make. These are just my first projects. I did them the same day I got the materials. I didn't have a pattern or anything, just going off a picture. I am working on a small handbag, but I am not sure that it will turn out. I don't have a picture of that yet.

I have found that felting is very popular in Japan, but not so here. So the only books I can really find (for needle felting, not wet felting) are in Japanese! We will see how that works.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I want one! (A felt bunny, that is.) That little guy is so cute, he just might make the Velveteen Rabbit reconsider his fate. :)

Josh and Deliverance said...

Aw, thanks. It's just a first try. I'm working on a puppy now. :)