Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Praise God!

After months of searches and disappointments, we finally have a flat! The landlords are Christians. They bought the flat for their son when he was studying at New College and have always let it to students of New College. It is in a very nice neighborhood, but they are keeping the rent lower for the students. I will be close to my work and a grocery store (a large one!), 2 things I was really hoping for. It is still close to city centre (though up a series of steep inclines) incase Josh works there or if we should need to go to any of the shops there for any reason. We are very happy to be near the River Leith Walk and The Botanic Gardens.

Big disappointment about the flat: the kitchen is smaller than what we have now. For any of you that saw our kitchen, that might sound surprising! We only have about 3 feet of countertop, 2 cabinets on the wall, one row of 4 drawers, and 2 or 3 cupboards under the counter, and NO MIXER TAPS!! It is going to be very challenging doing dishes (my little kitchen in Chicago is sounding like a dream!). The good thing is that there is more space to work with throughout the flat. I am already planning some things to move around and create more storage for the kitchen and possibly more counterspace. You who know me know that I am the queen of small spaces and this place has more storage than we have ever had (it is a 2 bedroom!), so I can definately work with it.

Please pray for Josh as he begins looking for a job now. It could be tricky securing something before he actually has the extention for his visa, but maybe someone would be willing to hire him knowing that it is very likely he would be approved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across your page through the ex-pat blog page, and have some questions for you. If you have time to answer, that would be excellent! I am from Oklahoma, but I am trying to attend university in Scotland (looking at Aberdeen and Dundee), and I am just curious as to how difficult the whole process was. I am already attending University but I am looking to transfer (and eventually establish residency), however, the entire application/acceptance/getting situated process for internationals appears to be very long and complicated. If you could please give me a brief explanation of how you got from the U.S. to Scotland, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

madeline3587@yahoo.com