Monday, September 26, 2005

First week of a British education

Hello, friends!

I think I like it here. This is my first experience studying at a British university and I appreciate the leisurely approach to learning. The standards for scholarship are first rate, but I don't miss the rush and stress of the American university. Even though my programme is taught rather than research, I still have an incredible amount of freedom to direct my studies how I wish. I suspect I will learn all too soon the subtle differences between the British essay and the American term paper.

This semester I only have three classes which meet once a week for intervals of two hours each. The reading is about two entire books each week for each class. My classes are small and personal. Several of the doctoral students have sort of taken me under their wings to get me aquainted with New College and how to proceed with my studies. I've really appreciated their encouragement and fellowship. They have mostly given me positive feedback on their experiences here and I sense very little cynicism. Refreshing to say the least.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and support leading up to our move. I think we rode that as a wave crest through all the stress and details of moving from one state to another, then moving across the Atlantic. I've become keenly aware as to how much an overseas move really is a community effort. So thanks again. Please post or email from time to time!

Joshua

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.