Friday, March 30, 2007

Long week

It has been such a long week. I am taking on extra shifts because I am saving up for a sewing machine. It is still not every day, but it is a lot to me. I still have to be on my feet - all day; chatting with customers - all day; acting cheerful - all day; smiling and refraining from telling rude customers how much they grate on me - all day; carrying milk jugs up the stairs - all day; trying to squeeze in breaks, banking, ordering, cleaning, temperature checks, stocking, phone calls, and other odds and ends into an already poorly scheduled day with not enough coverage. Work is really getting to me. It's not work itself, just the management of it that makes me want to run screaming from the store, pulling my hair out.

Today I got something in my eye. Our espresso saucers are fragile and shatter very easily. So I accidently knocked one on a mug (not the first time I have broken one) and I felt a spray of something hit my face and get into my eye. I thought, "This would be very bad if I have a shard of porceline in my eye!" So I held my eye open and ran upstairs to a mirror. Sure enough I saw a white fleck about two millimeters big resting carefully on my iris. I knew I would have to flush it out with water, but I also know I am a wimp when it comes to water in my eyes. So I just did it, because, well, I didn't want to lose my eyesight! I held my eyelids back and scooped water into my eye. When I looked again at my eye I saw the white fleck now resting on the inside of my bottom eyelid. Thank goodness for finger nails! My pinky nail was long enough to reach in there and scoop it out.

After that I was a bit shaken up. I was worried that I might still have little shards in my eye. My boss gave me some money and let me go to the chemist (fortunately just up the road) to get some eye wash. Again, not looking forward to it as it meant holding a wee cup of wash over my open eyelid. I did this to both eyes just incase anything got in the other eye. So that was my excitement for the day.

I love it when we change the clocks forward. We just did this last weekend. I know we are a couple of weeks behind you all in the States. It is 7:00 and we still have another hour of daylight! Yippee!! The only thing is, it is no longer light when I walk to work. :( That's ok, just a couple more weeks...

Just 13 more days until the Feezor's visit us!! Yay!

1 comment:

ErinOrtlund said...

Scary about your eye! Glad you got the shard out!