Monday, October 10, 2005

First Day on the Job

Bright and early...well, not bright...dark and early at 5:30am I quietly slipped out of bed so as not to rouse my husband. Well, actually, as the alarm is on his side of the bed he purposely did not turn the alarm off until I was sitting up in bed. I often don't even hear the alarm and did not want to risk sleeping through my first day at Starbucks.

I don't know what time the sun rises in Chicagoland these days, but I imagine it is nearly the same here. This is the first job I have had where I had to treck to work in the dark. I was greatful when my manager asked me what kind of coffee I wanted. Yeah! Peppermint mocha. MMM. I don't think I have had so much coffee in one day (unless you count that all-nighter I pulled in college). First the mocha, then a caramel macchiato (I don't know how to make them or spell them yet), then a mocha frap with my lunch. I desired something to keep me company on the way home, but I restrained myself from coffee...Raspberry frappaccino! Oh yes, and I got to bring home my first of the weekly bags of coffee (I was sad to hear that I can't take tea or chai).

Today was the first of four days of training. Paperwork, setting up and fetching pastries, reading about health and safety, steaming milk, bussing, grinding coffee, making Americanos. Just a little of everything. Nothing too exciting. When I was reading about the dress code I had to ask what a jumper is. My manager laughed and said it is a sweater.

I don't know if it was being there for 8 hours or just the familiarity of Starbucks, but I almost felt shocked as I walked out of the store and realized I was in Scotland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does Starbucks Scotland have any unique Coffee flavors or are they the same ones as Chicago?