Thursday, October 20, 2005

So What's the Difference?

Spencer asked if there were any different flavored drinks at the Starbucks here. It could be different in the busier stores, but we are pretty slow and there really aren't any different drinks. There are drinks that they don't have. They don't have anything pumpkin flavored here, so no pumpkin spice during harvest time. We don't have as many syrups, so I can't get either of my favorites (malt mocha frapp or raspberry mocha). Mint and peppermint are considered the same thing. I think the biggest difference is the food. They sell a lot of sandwiches, paninis that we have to put on a grill and wraps and other ordinary sandwiches. The strangest thing to me is the egg and marmite breakfast sandwich. Marmite is a yeast extract that you spread on your sandwiches. I think I also saw a baked bean and sausage breakfast sandwich. I never bought food at Starbucks in the States, so I don't know what other foods would be different.

I worked on the till (register) for the first time on Tuesday. It is a little confusing because before I do anything I have to find out if it will be 'sit in or take away' but usually they start rattling off this crazy long drink before I can do anything. I also have to learn a new way of counting out change (glad I already studied the change a couple weeks ago). There are so many denominations of coins, too! They have 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1pound, and 2pound.

They have an interesting machine that I would love to take home with me just because of the novelty of it. You put your money on it, it weighs it and tells you how much money you have! It has to be all the same coins and bills, but I thought it was grand and saves so much time.

No comments: