Friday, February 23, 2007

Detox: Day 3 or Has it Only Been 3 Days!?!?

Well, I am having a hard time of it so far. The first day I was just a wee bit hungry. The second day I was starving and had a splitting headache all day. Today I just had a headache all day.

Yesterday was my first day working while on the diet, and I had to do an early shift. I was SO tired all day long! And SO hungry! I was looking at muffins that I normally wouldn't care for and think, "Oh, that looks so good!" When I made customers drinks, even an almond soya latte sounded good. The only thing in all of Starbucks that I can have is Calm or Refresh tea. By the end of the day I was so sick of tea!

I hadn't realised how much the caffeine I had on my shift curbed my appetite until yesterday. I normally would not bring anything to eat at work. If I got hungry I might have a croissant, but I normally didn't get hungry. A strawberries and cream frapp would fill me up for lunch. Healthy, I know. But yesterday I was starving by the end of the day. I brought a wee container of pistachios and was munching on them for strength anytime I went down to do some paperwork. That was all I had. By the end of the day I was sick of pistachios...and tea!

It was a little better today. I didn't have so much of a splitting headache, though I really banged my head up good. I was cleaning the pastry case and I bent down to wipe down the sliding glass which I had taken out of the case. I knocked my head really hard on the metal tracks in the case where the glass goes. It was like in the cartoons where everything goes black for a split second and you see stars. I thought I was going to pass out for a minute it hurt so bad. I think I asked my coworker if I was bleeding or something. He said I had a DENT in my head! Well, it's gone the other way now and had made a nice nickle sized lump with a red line on my forehead. Didn't help my headache.

Anyways, back to detox. I really horded the snack foods because I am such a snacker and was worried that I would get the munchies all the time. Well, I've got plenty of snacks now, but I'm having trouble with meals. Last night I made a nice bean chili and added a bit of TVP. I cheated though because I didn't plan ahead to soak the beans. That's ok. I was in a bit of a panic, though, because I can't think of what to make for meals! I think I just need to become more familiar with what I CAN eat (rather than forcusing on what I can't). I decided to make some Spanish rice tonight (MMM...it's simmering just now!) but I didn't have any jalapenos. So I went down to Margiotta's (I SO love having a shop just around the corner). I looked around a bit (avoiding the meat section) to see if they could give me any inspiration for other meals. I was looking at the pasta sauce. I was thinking of the Ragu I have and home and thought "Oh, yeah. I can have that." I checked the ingredients and I think I'm clear. I already bought some rice and millet pasta, so I think that will be our next meal.

Everyone who did detox said they felt great. So, I'm hoping it will kick in soon. I think it was harder having to work during the first days. If the weekend is as nice as today was I am going to get out for a walk.

No comments: